The Parish Council is the level of local government in Telford & Wrekin nearest to the people. The old parishes were formed at a time when there was little difference, to the local people, between the Church and the State. A parish like Hadley usually formed around a village or other small community and was usually centred around the parish church.
The nineteenth century saw a massive change in the way people were represented, both in parliament and locally. Much of this change was driven by the increasing level of urbanisation following the industrial revolution and a general rise in standards of education.
At the parish level this resulted in the Local Government Act 1894 and the establishment of elected parish councils; the first meeting of what was then Hadley Parish Council was held on 4th December 1894. Church and State had finally separated: the area is now administered as a civil parish by Hadley & Leegomery Parish Council, whilst the Church of England ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, Hadley is administered by Parochial Church Council.
The Parish Council has many powers and a number of duties, all defined by statute. An example of a power is the one that allows the purchase and operation of street lighting. One duty requires the council to open its meetings to the press and public, with few exceptions. The Parish Council manages some of the local amenities in Hadley and Leegomery and has a watching brief on local issues and its opinion is noted by those higher authorities in matters concerning them such as local planning issues.